I can't use internal wikis. "It's on the wiki" is a dumb thing to say to me.I expect my team to check on the wiki because it's not useful to broadcast each information to everybody. Except when needed, information has to be stored on a "pull" mechanism. Luckily, most of the wikis provide a RSS feed on the latest changes.
Usually we forgive someone's lack of discipline if the element has some creative behaviour, in this case we justify everything with a sentence: "he's a genious, you cannot trap his mind in this or that process". Most of the creative people I've met are totally inept at managing simple tasks like:
- retrieve a document previously stored in the document management system, however it is categorized or tagged, even by means of the custom search engine
- complete tasks in an ordered way and notify the rest of the team
- remember decisions and keep coherent behavior when analyzing scenarios. If you've changed your mind, notify others that you've changed your mind and why
- before answering "it's not my duty" think. re-think and be completely sure that it' not your duty
- make a move before someone asks you about the status of a project,
- avoid replying that you're waiting for X or Y to complete a task when somebody questions about the task status you're responsible of (That's what I call cockdodging!)
But if you're not that kind of person and you just behave as "creative", you're just a dead corpse on the boat.
Since good ideas do not happen here and there, I advise the reader to do the best to behave well in a team, be cooperative, and organized.
Technorati Tags: cernio, creative, push-or-pull,